- 4 turkey sausages or Cajun or hot Italian sausages
- 10 oz (300 g) ham steak
- 2 onions
- 4 garlic cloves or 2½ tsp (12 mL) bottled chopped garlic
- 1 green pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) long-grain white rice
- 28 oz (796 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 10 oz (284 mL) can undiluted chicken broth and 1 can water or 2 cups (500 mL) chicken bouillon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each dried oregano leaves, salt and ground black pepper
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 454 g bag frozen uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined, about 1 lb (optional)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Set a large frying pan over medium heat. Cut each sausage in half. Squeeze meat from casings into pan. Discard casings. Using a fork, stir frequently to keep meat crumbly until no longer pink, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop ham and onions. Mince garlic. Core and seed green pepper, then chop into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces. Add sausage meat to bowl of slow cooker. Add ham, rice, onions, garlic, green pepper, tomatoes, broth, water, oregano, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaves. Stir until evenly mixed. Cover and turn slow cooker to high. Cook until rice is done, 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low. Stir in frozen shrimp and continue cooking 40 more minutes. Stir in parsley.