- 4 cups of Saskatoon berries; called Service berries in the US
- 3/4 cup of sugar, granulated
- 3 tablespoon of flour
- 1/4 cup of water
- Pastry for double crust pie
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- In a saucepan, simmer Saskatoon berries in water for 10 minutes. Add lemon juice. Stir in granulated sugar mixed with flour.
- Pour into pastry lined pie plate. Dot with butter. Cover with top crust; seal and flute edges.
- Bake in 425F oven for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350F oven and bake 35-45 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- 3 1/2 cups of Saskatoon berries
- 1/2 cup of water
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoon of corn starch
- 2 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of Almond Extract
- 2 cups pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of lard
- 1/4 cup of cold water
- Cook berries in water until boiling. Reduce water if using frozen berries. Add mixed cornstarch and sugar and boil until clear, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add lemon juice, butter and almond extract. Cool.
- Use as a filling for single or double crust pie, tarts, or on a cheesecake.
- Sift flour, measure and sift again with salt. Cut in lard until in pea-sized pieces. Mix in cold water. Form into a ball. Roll out and place in pie plate. Use extra pastry for top crust. Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes. Cool.