I made this recipe last night while my brother-in-law was over for supper. It was a big hit and I thought I would post it here.
- 1 pound of top round steak
- 2 tbsp lemon juice.
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- butter for spreading
- 10 slices toasted bread
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced. Have a little oil on hand as well.
- Steak sauce of choice.
- Cut the steak into 4 or 5 pieces and pound with a meal mallet unti thin. Place in a non-metallic container. Mix the lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and oil together and pour over the steaks. Turn to coat both sides and marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature or longer in the refrigerator.
- Soften the butter and spread and spread a think coating on both sides of the bread if desired, mix a little garlic into the butter.
- Heat barbecue and grilling rack until hot. Place onions on a griddle, toss and drizzle with a little oil as they cook. When beginning to soften, push to one side and turn occasionally with tongs. Place toast on hotplate and cook until golden on both sides. Place steaks on grilled rack and cook for 2 minutes on each side.
- Assemble sandwiches while food cooks: place steak and ions on one slice of toast. Top with a squirt of steak sauce and close with a second slice of toast.
You can also adapt this recipe to make a good Philly Cheesesteak sandwich. Grill equal amounts of mushrooms, green bell peppers and tomatoes with onions. Then combine vegetables with grilled meat. Spit a fresh Italian roll and fill with the mixture, topping steak with American or provolone cheese and garnish with pizza sauce instead of steak sauce), hot or sweet peppers or pickles.
Source: Now You’re Cookin’: Barbecue