- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked bowtie pasta
- 4 cups of milk
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) plus 3 tablespoons of butter, divided
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pound Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika or paprika
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Cook pasta according to package directions or until almost tender. Drain pasta, reserving pasta water; keep warm. Return water to a boil.
- Bring milk and garlic to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat; keep warm. Discard garlic.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in large saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually add milk, whisking after each addition. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir 10 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add cheese, mustard and paprika to sauce; whisk until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Preheat broiler. Add cauliflower to boiling pasta water. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or just until tender; drain. Toss pasta and cauliflower with sauce. Spoon pasta mixture into 6 to 8 ramekins or 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add panko; stir just until moistened. Sprinkle panko mixture over pasta mixture. Broil 2 minutes or until golden brown.
Source: 3 in 1 Vegetarian Cookbook