- 4 large yellow onions -- thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups rich beef stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup medium dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic – minced
- 6 slices of buttered French bread
- 1/4 cup of Romano or parmesan cheese
- Using a large frying pan, slowly sauté the onions in butter until limp and glazed. Transfer to crock-pot.
- Add beef stock, white wine, sherry, Worcestershire and garlic. Cover. Cook on low (200F) 6 to 8 hours.
- Place French bread on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with cheese. Place under preheated broiler until lightly toasted. To serve, ladle soup into bowl. Float a slice of toasted French bread on top.