- 2 tablespoon minced onion
- 1/2 pound butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 24 to 26 – blanched* fresh escargot, or drained canned snails
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- Saute minced onion in 1/4 cup butter. Add lemon juice. Place escargot in mushroom caps in individual dishes. Spoon onion and butter over escargot. Sprinkle lightly with garlic powder.
- Let stand for two hours.
- Pour mixture of remaining butter and garlic powder over escargot. Bake @ 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with garlic toast.
* To Blanch Escargot: Blanching is the first step in preparing escargot dishes.
- Fill a 3 quart pan half full of water (enough to cover the snails).
- When water boils, drop in the rinsed snails. Boil vigorously for 3 minutes (no more or the snails will get tough). Remove snails and rinse in cold water.
- Remove snails from shells with a toothpick. Place snails in bowl containing a mixture of half water and half vinegar for two hours. Snails are now ready to simmer in sauces.
- They may be cut into two or three pieces, if desired.
- Blanched snails,may be frozen.