My husband Jordon, who is always on the search for new ways of serving macaroni and cheese, loves this recipe. The kids get a kick out of it as well. It's a great variation on a classic.
- 1 frozen pie shell
- 3 ½ cups (875 mL) cooked elbow macaroni (1½ cups cups/375 mL uncooked)
- 3 tbsp (50 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups (375mL) 2% milk
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 6 Slices fully-cooked bacon, coarsely chopped and divided
- ¼ cup (50 mL) grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and bake the pie shell according to package directions for a baked pie shell. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and mix well, cook, stirring continuously, for 3 minutes.
- Whisk milk gradually into the butter mixture and continue to whisk until sauce has come to a boil and is slightly thickened. Add Cheddar cheese and cayenne pepper and continue to whisk for 3 to 5 minutes until cheese is melted, sauce is thicker and creamy smooth.
- Combine the cooked macaroni, cheese sauce, ½ the bacon and ½ the Parmesan cheese together in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Fill baked pie shell with cheese mixture and top with remaining bacon and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is slightly golden. Allow to stand for five minutes before serving.
- For a crispy golden top, place pie under a broiler on high heat for an extra few minutes.
- Make your macaroni filling and bake pie shell the day before. Refrigerate filling overnight and fill the baked pie shell just before the final baking for a fast dinner preparation!
- Serve with ketchup.
- Add up to 1 cup (250 mL) of your favorite veggies to the macaroni mixture.
- Great in tart shells for individual servings.